Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: SMTP Honeypots & Honeytokens

From: "Ian Baker" <ibaker () codecutters org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:14:06 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas STAMPF" <stampf.bes () free fr>
To: "Ian Baker" <ibaker () codecutters org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: SMTP Honeypots & Honeytokens

Selon Ian Baker <ibaker () codecutters org>:
(...)
At time of writing, that was 113 hours ago. Since then, 180, messages
have
been sent to the honeypot, of which 55 would have passed as legitimate
emails.

Clearly, then, the technique works as an anti-spam measure.

(...)

Thoughts, anyone?

Thumbs up for the "early worm detection" part, nothing else to say.

Just a quick note about the bayesian filtering and the SMTP honeypot part.

Could it be possible to have multiple of such computer installed in a few
places on the net, and have their spam hashed, processed through a
bayesian
filter, put in common and offered to the community as a downloadable
initialization package for your very personal bayesian filter?

By feeding the system with spam from all over the world, it could end up
as
being very effective, and improve the results of a bayesian filter.

Nicolas,
    Interesting idea - it could certainly be a good way of collecting spam
but, in order to be discriminating, the filter also needs to know about the
"ham" (good email). And that varies with each and every person.

I tested a few suggested algorithms (one of them a complete duplicate of a
shareware product, with the assistance of the author) What I found was that
many of the filters that claim 99.5%+ effectiveness - when tested with *my*
data, rather than someone else's - generated an awful lot of false
positives.

So many, in fact, that I ended up using a "softer" Bayesian filter than
most, and incorporated things like the honeypot into the design. The result
got released this morning.

Rather than allow a download of the database (not too much of a problem -
it's only about a MB in size), the package includes a GUI that takes
existing spam/ham and builds a totally personalised database. Details at
http://www.codecutters.org/software/advmserve.html (Windows only - sorry.
The IP components aren't available yet for Kylix)

What *would* be interesting would be a facility to gather together the
honeypot spam in such a way that filters like this could use it. That, in
fact, would be fairly simple to do.

The downside would be the size of Internet pipe required - with viruses, I'm
seeing just under 10MB a day (there's a built-in facility to dump the
contents of rejected messages, to make sure that you aren't getting any
false positives). I suppose that we could come up with a common format (e.g.
1 word per line, followed by a whitespace and an integer count).

Something that has just occurred to me is that /anyone/ with a mail server
can do this, assuming that it supports forwarding.

Effectively you'd have a honeynet of distributed spam-gathering servers, all
forwarding mail to a central point/network for processing.

Have to think about that one.. sounds /very/ feasible, given enough
bandwidth at the receiving end.

Regards,

Ian Baker
Webmaster, codecutters.org