Honeypots mailing list archives

how efficiently I can use honeyd/Hoenypots

From: Ravi <ravivsn () roc co in>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:23:40 +0530

Greetings all,
 This is my first posting to this mailing list.
I am very much fascinated by this technology, Pls Help me how efficiently I can use honeyd/Hoenypots.

I have seen articles describing the results after evaluating honeypots and honeyd for production and research as well. As these honeypots became almost stable can we start using honeypots to benchmark other IPS/IDS products. I would like to know How well can I use honeypots to evaluate IPS/IDS products.

I think of following scenario:

Nessus-------- IPS---------Honeypot

                                         ----- snot

Nessus will generate attacks to exploit IPS, HOneypot or Honeyd will receive the attacks when IPS fails to block the attacks. Snot will be used as packet logging and to group the attacks received to Honeypot/HoneyD.
I assume this way I can evaluate IPS products.

Coming to the drawbacks of such a set-up:
   - We have made assumption that HoneyPot/HoneyD is almost stable
- The evalutaion is also depending on snot capablility of logging packets. Snot s performance to work under high loads may effect the evaluation I request if anyone who have evaluated any IPS products share their experiences and help to do so. And any idea of Nessus scripts to evaluate IPS.

Best Regards,
Thanks in advance,
-Ravi