Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeyd 0.7a Linux Toolkit - beta1

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:47:14 +0100

Hello Manuel,

to answer your router question, i do now know the d-link routers very well,
but most broadband routers are simple. You should to able to assign what is
often called a 'dmz host' (although the correctness of the term is
questionable) to which all traffic will be forwarded that is not explicitly
forwarded (for example to the web or mail server) somewhere else. That may
be what you are looking for. Alternatively you can, as you mentioned,
forward each port seperately to a seperate IP address, and make honeyd
machines to listen to each one.

Because i am not really interested in windows rpc, i tend to filter those
ports out at the firewall with a DROP before they can get logged. That means
a dropchain then is (simplified, my real logging is more complex) "drop
${rpcports[x]}, log all, drop all." Unless you are emulating windows boxes,
you might want to consider the same. If it is unavoidable to listen to
windows garbage coming from the internet, i feel your log daemons' pain.

If i recall correctly, tarpits were well explained in a recent security
focus article - take a look what you find.

Hope this helped, i'm a bit tired, so i hope i the answers fit to your
questions.

Chris Meidinger