Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeyd on a single host...

From: raymond <ip_raymond () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 05:47:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

hv you tried to bind the honeyd directly to the
interface and then use arp to answer the arp request
so as to direct ip traffic at layer2 ?

--- Peter Bates <Peter.Bates () lshtm ac uk> wrote:

Hello all...

I just thought I'd ask here, to see if anyone else
had a working configuration for anything similar.

I have a Linux box... ppp0 is the outside world,
eth0 is 192.168.1.0/24 for some internal hosts
(which are then masqueraded with iptables), and
also an eth1 in the machine, that isn't connected or
being used.

eth0 provides DHCP services, so I'm trying to avoid
arpd,
but I obviously need to run honeyd on eth0 (or eth1)
as it
coughs on trying to bind to ppp0.

So, I run it bound to eth0 or eth1, and then try

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING  -p tcp --dport !22 -i
ppp0
-j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.200

(I've configured honeyd to 'pretend' to be
192.168.1.200)

The traffic appears to come in, but never gets
anywhere near
honeyd ...

Before I start reconsidering and just redirecting
traffic to my
home machine to my working honey(d)net, does anyone
have
a working configuration like the above that they are
using?

I can get things working if I use a second box
attached to eth0,
but I'm trying to avoid having my home littered with
computers :)

Thanks...

Peter Bates, Systems Support Officer, Network
Support Team.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Telephone:0207-958 8353 / Fax: 0207- 636 9838