Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Windows Open source/Freeware security tools

From: "SecurIT Informatique Inc." <securit () iquebec com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:56:32 -0400

At 11:03 PM 21/07/2003, Will Schmied wrote:

All,

Trying to collect some ideas here...

What do you all consider to be the best open source/freeware tools for
Windows in the following areas?

Well, my opinion of the following software as being "the best" is somewhat biased, since I wrote them, and they are not as well known as nmap or snort since they haven't been around for so long, but here is my shot. Please bear in mind that these are the current versions, but I am actually redesigning the internal architecture of how they work together, which will improve the model. They are available both in Open Source and commercial versions at my website http://securit.iquebec.com.

Now, that being said...

Honeypots
Not a honeypot per se, but more of a honeypot tool, ComLog is a command prompt logger which (at last) enables you to keep a track of commands issued to cmd.exe, either directly or by abusing a vulnerable service or through a netcat or crypcat session.

Log collection/archiving
My first security program, LogAgent, now in version 4.0, is a logfile monitoring and centralising software that works for just about any ASCII log file (except for IIS logs) and the events from the Event Viewer (which in turns get converted to ascii). Registered version (very affordable) lets you run LogAgent as a service. Next version will include the ability to analyze these logs before taking action.

File monitoring (like tripwire)
I recently released two tools in this regard (more to come soon) that can fit in this category, AdsScan (not to be confused with ScanAds from Tiago Halm) whoch scans for Alternate Data Streams, and the combo Hashgen/Integcheck (they will be combined into a single file in next release) which is a MD5-SHA1 file system integrity checker (ie. like Tripwire).

IDS

Finally, I released a couple of months ago LogIDS 1.0, which is an intrusion detection console based on real-time analysis of log files gathered from various applications from accross the network. You can see it as the "top layer" for all the other tools, but also for any other kind of security tools which logs can be fed to LogIDS. Comes to mind, but not limited to, antivirus software, personnal firewalls, NIDS (ie Snort), main firewall logs (in this regard, Torsten Fellhauer recently released a Windows binary of FW1-Loggrabber 1.8, which lets you fetch your CheckPoint FW-1 logs), etc...

During version 4.0, LogAgent Pro also included some Intrusion detection features that combined pretty well with LogIDS 1.0, but as I mentionned, the internal architecture is a bit clumsy. I am in the process of rewriting these tools (and add a couple more) which will improve both the model of log-analysis IDS and the performance of the console. First of all, LogAgent will recover its initial mission of log monitoring/centralising, but with analysis capabilities built-in. The intrusion detection modules have been taken out as individual modules, which can then be launched using the LogAgent service stub. Also, these modules will be built in order to send less non-necessary data to the console, which will help improve the performance (some of the analysis that was performed by LogIDS will be done by the modules themselves). Still, despite these small shortcomings, you could be interested in looking at these tools right now, while waiting for the next releases that will come out sometime this fall, since they are quite unique in what they do, and they try to solve some particularly difficult problems of the security game.

I hope you will find these tools worthy to make your list.

Adam Richard, aka Floydman
SecurIT Informatique Inc.