Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Sebek/snort dropping characters - temp fix

From: Edward Balas <ebalas () iu edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:30:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Tom Jacobsen wrote:

Hi All,

I'm just finishing up my Gen II and ran into a problem.  I wasn't capturing
all the keystrokes from my honeypot with sebek-2.0.1.  I'd capture some,
but not all.  After a little investigation, it turned out that some of the
UDP packets had bad checksums and so snort was not logging them.  The quick
fix was to use snort's command line option"-k none" to disable
checksums.  Guess I could just set it to "-k noudp" since it's really on
UDP traffic.  In any event I'll take a look at the sebek code to see if I
can figure out the problem, but thought I would post it here in case anyone
else noticed they're captures were corrupt or garbled.

Yeah, its not a problem per se. It is not technically required to perform
a UDP checksum if I recall, so I am not doing it.  I am doing the IP
checksum.   The motivation or lack there of, was that it was one of not
wanting to do it if I didnt need to as, one less function call meant a
higher performance kernel mod.

If folks desire, I can add code.

Edward

Later,