Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Using specialized honeypots to build up-to-date spam blacklis ts?

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:56:35 +0100

Hi Jens,

the idea is _very_ interesting. I particularly like that you can correlate
the crawler bot's IP with the spam. Perhaps these don't change that often.
Who knows? Theoretically, if you had a database that included the relative
frequency of the crawls from different IP addresses, even search engines
could start to block those addresses and shut out the spam-bots. To be
really cool, definately encode the requesting IP into the email address.

The only thing i would carefully consider at every step is not to DoS some
poor home dial-up user who gets an address after an evil spammer hangs up.

Now, the tricky part is to prevent fingerprinting. You don't want your site
to be blacklisted by spammer-bots. So you could maybe find different
people/organizations to help with a spam-pot project. Then use server-side
includes for one-pixel graphics to link to your trapped email addresses from
all different sites, to addresses at many different domains. (or something
like that, you get the idea)

The reason we can't just turn the lights out on spam is that there are so
many spammers using so many servers targeting so many people. The odds are
just on their side. Your pool of fake addresses should be equally large and
diverse so that a simple 20 line blacklist won't shut you down.

-Chris