Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Capturing Windows RPC worms with honeyd or similar?

From: oudot <oudot () rstack org>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:16:18 +0200

Jyri Hovila a écrit:
Hi all!

I'd like to set up a honeypot to capture Windows RPC worms and other
Windows-specific stuff. Is there any way to simulate a vulnerable
Windows host using honeyd or some similar software? I mean actually
simulating the buffer overflow. Or do I have to set up a real
Windows box?

To catch the Windows RPC Worms, u don't really need to simulate the buffer overflow. U just need to answer to the worm, because it does not check RPC answers to the RPC requests it sent (just a small recv() to be sure an answer came back).

Any ready-made configuration files for honeyd?

Check this : http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/msblast.html

laurent

Thanks!

- Jyri