Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Question about Dynamic Honeypots.

From: "Jack Whitsitt (jofny)" <seclists () violating us>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:34:33 -0500

They key problem with the question and the answers is the word "all".

There are no firewalls, no IDS systems, and no other <fill in the blank>
security products that will find and/or deal with all hostile traffic. There
are also no solutions that don't make mistakes.

So, that being said, there are solutions available - commercial and open
source - that use IDS systems to redirect traffic to honeypots based on
policy.

No, these should not be used as blanket solutions. Yes, there are situations
where you have a)Stable and *fairly* homgenous traffic patterns where IDS
can with very few false positives find bad traffic and b)A need to do
further analysis of an attack that a firewall or IDS can provide (specific
examples would be to watch behavior in encrypted traffic streams, to
determine goals and motivation of an attack, or even to determine if there
is something more serious going on than your signature picked up on).

These systems are hard to maintain and should be used in very specific
situations - but there is a need and use for them.

* Bait and Switch Honeypot System does it (out of date, but easy to hack on
to newer Snort versions)
* Hogwash
* and look for a commercial router company (dont remember the same) out of
Europe (Belgium?) that does this as well.

-Jack
(Im not looking for comments on the solutions - just presenting them as
evidence that they exist)