Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: logging facility

From: Ryan Barnett <RCBarnett () hushmail com>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 11:50:31 -0000

From: urbn () visi com

What if someone compromised your honeypot, and then monitored any SSL
traffic
that was decrypted?  Common sense would tell me to keep these logs (the
decrypted SSL traffic) on a separate system, but then why even have your
honeypot decrypt it first. Better off just sending the encrypted packets
to the
system that will be logging it anyways.

Or am I missing something here?

The key element here is that blackhats are including encryption
communication tools as part of their rootkits.  This can range from
modified ssh daemons to SSL enabled web servers to custom encryption tools
utilizing seldomly used protocols (see the Honeynet Project's SoTM Reverse
Challenge and SoTM Scan 22 - http://www.honeynet.org/scans/scan22/).

If the attackers would be nice enough to use our honeypot services, sush
as ssh, then we could just log the encryped data to a remote host.  This
would work because we would have the appropriate decryption keys for the
data.  Unfortunately, blackhats are not so kind...

Since they will most likely use their own tools, we are forced to log the
decrypted data at the host level rather than the network level.  With
tools such as sebek or other kernel keyloggers, we can capture all of the
data once it has passed through the blackhats decryption algorithms - and
then send it off to a remote host for safe keeping.

Hope this helps.

-Ryan