Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Know Your Enemy: GenII Honeynets

From: george chamales <george () overt org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:46:59 -0500

Comments inline:

If I was a hacker and ran a sniffer on my hacked host to see what was going on and I saw *no* packets coming from myself. I would see ssh connections
etc inbound but nothing outbound I would know *instantly* this was
incredibly suspicious. Perhaps even more suspicious than actually seeing the
UDP packets because there would be a chance they'd get overlooked.

You're mistaken about the method Sebek2 uses to hide its packets.
Sebek2 certainly doesn't hide all the packets that are sent out of the
honeypot because, as you point out, that would be highly suspicious. Sebek2
allows you to specify a source MAC OUI (organization unique identifier)
when you load the module.  The OUI is the number assigned to different
network interface card manufacturers that is placed in the high three bytes of MAC addresses from that manufacturer. All of the packets that are generated by Sebek2 leave the host with the given OUI in the source MAC address. On the honeypot Sebek2 only hides the packets that have that spoofed OUI. As a result, Sebek2 will only hide traffic that was generated by the module and never
hide packets generated by normal traffic.

One of the benefits of this method is that multiple Linux honeypots on the
network can be configured with Sebek2 and the same MAC OUI and none of
them will be able to sniff the Sebek traffic on the network.

Please feel free to contact Ed Balas if you have any more questions about
Sebek2.  He's been the primary developer on the project.

Just thinking off the top of my head, the person who designed Sebek2 could
have made it much more useful if instead of a predetermined mac address
being ignored, a predetermined port could be specified. This way you could
choose an arbitrary port to have things report on such as 30519 or
something, and have the logging facility listen for that port, while on the
honeypot itself all other traffic such as their SSH/IRC/etc connections
would still be visible.

I don't think this is the best solution.  It would be really easy for an
attacker to run a tool that would send out udp packets from each port on
the honeypot system and look for a port where traffic magically
disappeared.

Don't mean to criticize but I've been using this GenII model for months
already (and I would guess others are too). I was really excited to see the
article and hoping for something fresh and new!  Just my $0.02

GenII Honeynets have been around for a while.  What we've sought to do
here is devote an entire paper to the methods and technology as opposed
to a single section in KYE: Honeypots.

Thanks for your input,

george chamales
http://honeynet.overt.org