Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot and Policy Routing

From: "Andrew Hintz \(Drew\)" <drew () overt org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:34:25 -0500

Are you thinking of something similar to this?

<http://violating.us/projects/baitnswitch/>

"The Bait and Switch Honeypot is a multifaceted attempt to take honeypots
out of the shadows of the network security model and to make them an active
participant in system defense. To do this, we are creating a system that
reacts to hostile intrusion attempts by redirecting all hostile traffic to a
honeypot that is partially mirroring your production system.  Once switched,
the would-be hacker is unknowingly attacking your honeypot instead of the
real data and your clients and/or users still safely accessing the real
system. Life goes on, your data is safe, and you are learning about the bad
guy as an added benefit. The system is based on snort, linux's iproute2,
netfilter, and custom code for now. We plan on adding additional support in
the future if possible."