Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: profiling honeypots..

From: "Bernie, CTA" <cta () hcsin net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:48:31 -0400

On 7 Apr 2003, at 10:12, Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:

implementations are that they exhibit predictable or
identifiable probe/attack response characteristics, and their
locations are
Hmm, that sounds a bit weird to me. When you type a UNIX command,
the response is pretty predictable (or at least one hopes so).
Why should honeypots "display unpredictable behavior"?

bhh>>>
I believe you are considering only one stimulus / response
event and not the quantization effect/error dynamics of the
entire system. On a truly "active" system one would observe a
quantifiable randomness in the system-wide operating and
response characteristics indicative of the open-loop dynamics
of a live/active system. Conversely, a most honoypots by
design are closed loop systems that respond in a linear or
controlled manner with predictable responses to step changes
and stimuli, when analyzed as a system.
-

-

--
  Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCI*
     http://www.chuvakin.org

-
Bernie
Chief Technology Architect
Chief Security Officer
cta () hcsin net
Euclidean Systems, Inc.
// "There is no expedient to which a man will not go
//    to avoid the pure labor of honest thinking."
//     Honest thought, the real business capital.
//      Observe> Think> Plan> Think> Do> Think>