Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: CoVirt

From: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg () umich edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

This was actually our thought too. =)

What ReVirt actually does is to make the VM go through all the same states
as before.  At this point, as far as we can tell from extensive testing,
it works completely.  We don't yet have many analysis tools, but we're
working on them.  If anyone has any suggestions, we'd love the help.

A couple of interesting aspects of ReVirt:
 * The logs aren't in a format that are easy to scan, because they're
low-level events at the virtual machine (the exact timing of an interrupt,
the results of a read() system call).  But it allows you to get whatever
high-level logging information you want ex-post-facto.
 * Logging / replay is isomorphic to checkpointing.  This has some
interesting avenues to explore.

A couple of ideas we were kicking around:
 * Set up a study, gathering 'interesting' traces.  It might even be
possible to sanitize the traces in such a way that they could be used as a
benchmark for intrusion detection systems.  Currently, IDS systems are
typically tested on standard data (packet logs, standard security logs,
etc); the DARPA challenge, for instance.

While this data has the value of experience behind it, it may not be the
optimal thing to log to find intrusions.  But when some researcher wants
to try looking at some other aspect of the system -- system call pairs, or
stack frames or something -- to test it, they have to build a system and
wait for someone to break in.  Which means that each researcher must
collect his own data, and unless they happen to log the same data, can't
compare their detection tools.

Just so you know the state of the project:
 * Our latest distribution uses UMLinux (now FAUMachine) for our virtual
machine, not Jeff Dike's User-Mode-Linux.  The guest kernel shares the
address space with the guest process, so the stack is in a different
place.  We're working on porting our system to UML.
 * The distribution on the website works on Athalons, but may not work
right on your P4, depending on the BIOS.  I have a fix that makes this
robust on the P4, I haven't posted yet, so if you want to try it out,
e-mail me and I'll make that a priority.
 * Our prototype is not security-hardened at all, so there's some work to
be done before we can use it without risking "reckless endangerment". =)

Peace,
 -George