Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Watching Spammer

From: Stephen Holcroft <stephen_holcroft () hotmail com>
Date: 3 Jun 2003 17:27:02 -0000

Why not set up a spam honeypot, very simple to do, just involves starting
sendmail in relay mode and having the email's queued locally on the box
instead of being delivered. It wont take up much resources or bandwidth.
Just look for emails with your IP in the subject, send them back and hey
presto the spammer thinks she's got a relay box.

I did it and caught tens of thousands of spam email's before getting
bored. I got all sorts, everything from penis enlargement pills to banking
with King what's his face in the African state of Makebeleive.

Nice feeling looking at a few thousand spam mails knowing you have wasted
the spammers time.

Details on how to set one up can be found at:-

http://fightrelayspam.homestead.com/files/antispam06132002.htm

Regards,

Steve.

I've caught a spammer trying to relay off of my honeypot.  I've been
watching the bastard for about a week. I have his IP and such.  Should I
report to his ISP or is there a spammers "list" I could put that IP in?
Thanks in advance.