Honeypots mailing list archives

Distribution Choice

From: Richard Stevens <mail () richardstevens de>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:42:17 +0200

Hi,

my question will risk the start of a distribution flamewar. I don't intend to
do that, I'm really looking for advice.

I'm currently setting up a system for a Gen II honeynet firewall. My proof of
concept setup was debian based but I just can't start to like debian (just me
:-).

I'm wondering what distribution you would suggest. I'm interested you
experiences related to stability, flexibility in modifying the standard,
security, ability to apply the needed patches etc.

I'm looking for something

minimal (not 1 Gig of baseinstallation with all development tools and X
installed)

flexible (ability to change key components without killing most of the boot
process functionality, that means basically not too much automatic stuff. I'd
like to get rid of modules...)

secure (a hardened Kernel and maybe even buffer overflow protected kernel and
libs would be nice)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard