Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeytokens and detection

From: Beau Monday <bmonday () scc mobilephone net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:34:48 -0800

The goal is to set a tripwire, to alert the admin that the database has been
compromised (or is in the process of being compromised).

It doesn't matter if the data is public, by the time the hacker can view the
data and realizes it has a token in it, it has already crossed the wire and
set off the alarm, has it not?

Even if the hackers wrote algorithms to specifically skip records that had
the bogus information, chances are the method used would also contain the
token strings, and still set off the alarm.

It's not foolproof, but I think this is a worthwhile venture.

Reminds me of a doctor friend of mine: He works at a hospital that plants
bogus medical records under names like "John F. Kennedy" and watches who
goes snooping into them.

Beau