Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: An Idea for Discussion for HoneyView

From: Pascal Charest <praetori () step polymtl ca>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:15:54 -0400 (EDT)

I wonder if this is really applicable. We are speaking of a very high
overhead for little result. I don't think the database would really be
usefull in a production environnement, since you cannot really block a
entire router (we are more than a million here that have as first gateway
one of the videotron.com routeur).

The other problem would be the bandwith asked by this operation, we are
speaking of slowing down the speed of the login to crawl. I would also
wonder if there would be usefull result, since an hacker might decide to
use anonymous proxy, vpn, modified ircbot, hacked computer... all of wich
would compromise your data accuracy.

My 2cents...

Pascal Charest :: Alias: Praetorian
Administrateur du STEP et Coopoly