Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Faking OS detection

From: "Alan Neville" <aneville () isiclabs com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:35:04 -0000

Why not just use blackhole, so no one can even nmap your server/workstation?
Set the following options, so when you reboot, blackhole is initialized on
TCP and UDP ports.
This will stop people from nmaping or attempting any type of stealth scan
against your system.

-bash-2.05b$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/sysctl.conf,v 1.1.2.3 2002/04/15 00:44:13 dougb Exp $
#
#  This file is read when going to multi-user and its contents piped thru
#  ``sysctl'' to adjust kernel values.  ``man 5 sysctl.conf'' for details.
#
net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2
net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
-bash-2.05b$

To enable blackhole without a reboot, do the following:

-bash-2.05b$ uname -a
FreeBSD sciaphobia.net 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Sat Jan 11
13:56:50 GMT 2003     alan () sciaphobia net:/usr/src/sys/compile/JESSICA  i386
-bash-2.05b$ sysctl -a | grep blackhole
net.inet.tcp.blackhole: 0
net.inet.udp.blackhole: 0
-bash-2.05b$ su
Password:
sciaphobia# sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2; sysctl -w
net.inet.udp.blackhole=1
net.inet.tcp.blackhole: 0 -> 2
net.inet.udp.blackhole: 0 -> 1
sciaphobia# exit