Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Know Your Enemy: Learning with VMware

From: tycho () fruru com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:04:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Lance Spitzner wrote:

Solaris, and OpenBSD.   The Honeynet Project has found
VMware to be a very powerful solution for development
and testing of Honeynet technologies.

Yes, this  is a powerful  solution but this  is still not Free  (as in
Freedom  ;-).   Another  point  is  the  fingerprint   of  the  VMware
hardware. How do you  solve that issue ? Is it a  way to do change the
hardware description in VMware ?

AFAIK apart from editing in the vmware binary, there is no way to make eg.
the disks report something less obvious as model identification.  Joy :-)

I guess it all depends up to what level you want to give people a
"real"-feeling system to hack/crack.  And with more and more real
webhosting businesses starting to offer UML and/or VMWare'd "machines" to
their clients I think that VMware/UML honeypots will gain in importance
and will more easily be accepted by blackhats.  But I would love to hear
your feedback on this.

PS : Is there some other honeynet running with plex/bochs ?

Do you have too much spare processing power ? :-)

Cheers,
Tycho