Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Wireless honeypots

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy () deities org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:19:56 -0800

You are probably remembering this article:
http://online.securityfocus.com/news/552

The issue the article raises is that it's difficult to discover intent with a shallow rig. That is, only access points with no connectivity to the Internet. Most attackers are not going to look for a wireless network and then simply attack machines on that network. They will likely want to use the wireless network as an anonymous point of attack on machines connected to the Internet.

What might be interesting is to build a wireless access point in combination with snort inline to allow full access to the Internet but with the protection of some of the nextgen honeynet rules.

-J

Marcelo Barbosa Lima wrote:
Hi Matt,

 I do not remember now, but I know that already exists an similar work. I
remember that I saw about it in Securityfocus site. The idea was take
attackers doing war driving. Best Regards,

        Marcelo.