Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: snort-inline

From: Rob McMillen <rvmcmil () cablespeed com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:34:47 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Ales Stibal wrote:

Hello list,
I have big problem to run snort-inline on single host. I wanted my box to be
protected by snort-inline, but I failed to do so.

what version of snort_inline do you have?  Make sure you get the latest
from

http://project.honeynet.org/papers/honeynet/tools/si/

make sure you get the snort_inline-1.9.1-1.

I tried to run various kernels, only one that seems to allow snort do
it's job

Can you state what kinds of errors you were getting with the others?  And
how you figured out that you had the right one?

on QUEUE is vanilla 2.4.20 ( recently I tried same versions, but gentoo
patches,
including P-O-M of netfilter)

I am running iptables commands:

iptables -A INPUT -d $ETH0_IP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j QUEUE
//FIXME: the line bellow seems obsolete to me ... (unreachable)
iptables -A INPUT -d $ETH0_IP -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

With this rule packet successfully fall to QUEUE, is detected by
snort_inline
(it's shown when using -v flag), but nothing is passed trough.

What rules are you using?  What does the rest of your firewall
configuration look like?

Rob