Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Data Capture and Data Control

From: Yoshihiro Shibuya <SND13571 () nifty com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:17:50 +0900 (JST)

Hello Mr. Rob,

Thank you for your advise! I'm trying again and tell after time.

Also, I have another IDS machine in a lab network, I can
notice some scans for our honeypot's IP address and other machine's
honeypot. But TCPFLOW on our Honeypot's host os doesn't capture ONLY
the IP address of the honeypot.

Not too sure what you are asking, but I think you are trying to say that
you see traffic on the honeypot that belongs to external traffic.  Is this
right?  An ascii picture might make it easier to understand.

Rob

My virtual honeynet is following;

 |       -----------           -----------     |
 |      |           |         |           |    |
 |      |           | vmnet1  |           |    | eth0
 |      | Guest OS  |---------| Host OS   |----|------->   INTERNET
 |      |           |         |           |    |
 |      |(honeypot) |         | (VMware)  |    |
 |      |           |         |           |    |
 |       -----------           -----------     |

Guest OS has IP (eth0) 192.168.79.2 Host-Only
Host OS has IP (eth0)   (A class C external address)
               (vmnet1) 192.168.79.1

But after running modified rc.firewall script, when I type /sbin/ifconfig, host os's IP(eth0), br0, vmnet1 don't have
IP address, and Guest os(honeypot)'s address is 192.168.79.2 when I type /sbin/ifconfig on Guest os. But when I type
ping command and so on at Guest(honeypot), network don't reachable.

Sorry of my poor English, please give some advises.

Regards, sincerely,

Yoshihiro Shibuya
<SND13571 () nifty com>