Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD and honey pots [ Re: Snort inline for openbsd? ]

From: "Alan Neville" <aneville () isiclabs com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:34:00 -0000

Garrett:
Once the honeypot is compromised, it is possible for the intruder to
discover the offsite logging system, at which point they may disable it.
Although, all logs are sent to the logging server live, so everything right
up to the moment of the remote log server being disabled is recorded and
uploaded.

An idea to think about would be to setup a secondary logging server
so, if the connection is disabled by an intruder, the second one will
kick in and log.

Also, be sure to check out the following papers by Eric S. Hines;
http://www.fatelabs.com/syslog.pdf
http://www.fatelabs.com/flyingspigs.pdf

If you require additional information, please by all means contact me.

Best Regards,
Alan Neville