Honeypots mailing list archives

Share your Honeypot and IDS experiences with the masses

From: Jacco Tunnissen <jacco () honeypots net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 05:14:46 +0100

Hello IDS and honeypot list members,

The adoption of IDS and honeypot systems - in addition to our 'traditional'
security devices - is becoming more mainstream. The list of Intrusion
Detection and honeypot products for the various operating systems (including
wireless devices) is growing rapidly, and a lot of research is done to
develop all kinds of new and cool features. Which is good. It helps us to
better secure our systems and to (earlier) detect suspicious events.

The tight integration between all these security components in the network
is important. You can think of interactions between the firewall, the IDS
system, the anti-virus system and the honeypot. Complete "solutions" that
provide this level of integration will win the next battle in the war on
security.

We at honeypots.net have created an overview of almost all products, a lot
of whitepapers and other online resources on the topic of IDS's and
honeypots. In our effort to make this collection even more useful to the
security community, we're now asking you to write more practical documents,
which describe your own personal experiences with these rather new
technology. Yes, we'd like to hear from *you* :)

We ask you to document your own *practical* experience with honeypots and
Intrusion Detection Systems. How did you do it? What technical programs and
tools did you use? Was it succesful? Can you describe some suspicious
events? What tools (or product enhancements) did you miss? What have you
learned from it? I hope you get the idea.

You can submit your story or "whitepaper" in plain text or PDF format to our
team at <experiences [at] honeypots.net>. Or -if documented online- you can
give us the URL of your website. If it's a good story (several people will
have an independent look at the submissions), we'll create a link to your
document on the honeypots site.

Q: Is there a deadline for my submission?