Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: snort-inline doesn't detect second occurrence

From: Rob McMillen <rvmcmil () cablespeed com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:50:55 -0500 (EST)

Dave,
        Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.  I've taken over
maintenance for snort_inline from Jed because he has been swamped lately.

second and subsequent occurrences of a drop match aren't dropped, but
simply cruise right on through. Example:

Will take a look at this.

As a somewhat separate issue, I compiled snort-inline with flex-resp, and
it doesn't appear that including "resp:rst_all;" actually sends a reset
(as in, the connection is never shut down, and I don't see any resets on
the wire). Since there's no mention anywhere of the flex-resp stuff
working in -Q mode, that may be a moot point at this moment. (Could be
related to the libpcap not being initiated in -Q mode; maybe libnet isn't
active at that point either).

The reset code never made it into that version of snort_inline.  The
Honeynet Project is about to release an updated version that integrates
the reset code for tcp packets and port unreachable for udp.  The new
snort_inline should be release early next week.  I'll see if I can
recreate your problem above and fix it before release.

Thanks,

Rob