Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: How do I make telnet vulnerable to attack?

From: George Bakos <gbakos () ists dartmouth edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:28:07 -0500

In your logs, you may see that they have connected to your hpot on port
23, but that is only the first step. Telnet is not the service, but rather
the client, that she is now attempting to use to connect to an ircd. The
attacker obviously thinks she has gained entry to a network device
(switch, router, etc) and is trying to irc out though it.

If you are running a low-interaction stack/service emulator, that is the
best you are going to do. If, instead, you wish to observe follow-on
actions, you will need to assume a bit more risk & put up high-interaction
honeypots/honeynets. But be careful, once those outgoing connections
succeed, you may become an erzatz partner in illegal or otherwise
questionable activities.

Cheers.

On 25 Feb 2003 20:34:39 -0000