Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Question about logging

From: Ryan Barnett <RCBarnett () hushmail com>
Date: 6 Dec 2002 13:14:27 -0000

Hello,

I am just getting my feet wet on some of the concepts in honeypots and
intrusion detection. I was wondering if someone can point me in the
direction of additional information on setting up logging. I am not
understanding how a logging server can be available to copy logs to
(via syslogd or some third party Windows tool) and yet not be
vulnerable once the honeypot is compromised.

one solution I have come across involves disabling every service on a
box except syslogd, except this still seems like it would be
vulnerable, especially if the intruder was just trying to flood the
log. And I'm not an SME on firewalls, so perhaps I am missing something.

You are correct in identifying this Catch-22 - You need to send your
logging data to a remote host to protect them, but how do you then protect
your remote host???  If you send Syslogs to a remote host - the attacker
can attack this host as well.  Many a Honeypotter has run into this
before, either with the attacker sending massive amounts of bogus data to
fill up the remote-syslog host or to try and compromise the syslog-host
altogether.  Depending on your GOAL for your honeypot, this is not
entirely a BAD thing.  Here is a snippet from the Honeynet Project's
Whitepaper describing this issue:

"More advanced blackhats will attempt to compromise the remote syslog
server in an attempt to cover their tracks. This is exactly what we want
to occur. The syslog server is normally a far more secured system. This
means for a blackhat to successfully take control of such a system they
will have to use more advanced techniques, which we will capture and learn
from. If the syslog server is compromised, we have lost nothing. Yes, the
blackhat can gain control of the system and wipe the logs. However, do not
forget, our IDS sensor that is on the network passively captured and
recorded all of the logging activity that happened on the network. In
reality, the IDS system acts as a second remote log system, as it
passively captured all the network data."

In this passage, the Honeynet Project not only describes the added
information which could be gained by having an attacker target your remote
syslog system, but the also tells you how to have a "passive" backup for
your syslog host - the Network IDS system.  Since Syslog will send it's
data out in clear text, a properly placed Sniffer could capture this
data.  Another similar technique is to specify a Non-Existent Remote
Syslog host on your honeypot.  This way, the honeypot syslog data is sent
out on the wire to a non-existent host and the NIDS can pick it up.  This
way you can still get the data and the attacker does not have a target.

Hope this helps.

Ryan C. Barnett
Senior Security Engineer
SANS: GCFA, GCIH, GCUX, GSEC