Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: IPv6

From: "Jon Miller" <jon () humperdink net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 06:02:57 -0800

Let me see if I can field the answer to this question... on the first part
of your question/comment yes they have to come in over IPv4, however you can
only hope that your IDS catches them, intrusion detection does not pickup
every attack, and many times if you are running a large amount of publicly
accessible servers sometimes what sets of the IDS is when someone penetrates
the machine and is in the midst of seeing what is out there, and you or the
IDS can totally miss the initial compromise, especially if it is someone who
knows what they are doing and are using private exploits, so they can
compromise the system quick and with a small footprint.  With the launch of
IPv6 it gives the attacker the ability to tunnel out of the network to
either another compromised network or to their personal network without
raising any flags with current IDS, hence the update to Snort.

I hope that cleared it up for you....

Jon Miller CISSP
Sr. Security Engineer
Covert Systems