Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Honeynet using a Netscreen?

From: "Dell, Jeffrey" <JDell () seisint com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:55:07 -0500

In version 4.01r1 of the Netscreen firmware there are some new features that
are nice for honeynets..

1. Source-Based Session Limiting - limit the number of sessions from any one
server. Ex: you can set it so a server can only initiate 1 session per
second
2. Destination-Based Session Limiting - limit the number of outbound
sessions per second
3. Alert but don't drop rule - This is good to be notified of an attack, but
let it still through
4. It also has a slew of other filtering options for inbound out outbound
traffic.

You also might want to check out snortsam at http://www.snortsam.net/ it
works with Netscreen firewalls as well. Snortsam automates the blocking of
IP addresses based on Snort rules.

Enjoy!
Jeff