funsec mailing list archives

Re: Important Service Announcement

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:15:53 -0700

From:                   "Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)" <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date sent:              Mon, 9 Mar 2015 17:28:10 +0000

I was referring to when Uuencode first came out when I thought it was only for
porn…. I quickly found that it wasn’t ☺

Actually, I think by the time I encountered UUencoding it was the fourth such
system that I'd used, and was old hat by then.  (I vaguely remember something
back in the early 80s, that ran on email commands, didn't receive an encoded file
in an email, but ended up with an encoded file on your system, which then had to
be decoded.)

For the real ancients among us, I have been looking, for some time, for the text
files for MAKEBOO and UNBOO.  Originally they come in a text message that
explained the process, and had the two files as sections.  Since they were written
using all printable characters, all you had to do was save the relevant sections of
text as files, and name them with .COM extensions.  Anybody got a copy?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one
has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome
while trying to succeed.                      - Booker T. Washington
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade