funsec mailing list archives

Searching ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:11:15 -0800

I may have been quiet, but I've had a busy summer.

First of all, Gloria broke her shoulder.  We were taking care of the twins.  No,
they aren't monsters, but we are such *terrific* grandparents that we were
willing to take them to see "Transformers" (possibly one of the worst movies of
all time, in terms of logic, plot, and characterization).  In 3D.  It's three
hours long.  Which may explain why Gloria fell in the parking lot coming out.

As if she needed more pain, her Dad died.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/vancouversun/obituary.aspx?n=f-a-stuart-
furneaux&pid=172130322

(Less importantly, but more inconveniently, and fairly expensively in terms of
spoiled food, almost immediately thereafter, our fridge died.  It's taken the
complex a week and a half to replace it.  They are promising for today, but
I'm no longer holding my breath.)

So, Gloria has been trying, one-handed, to make arrangements for the service.
Normally she'd be firing off emails in quick succession, but, when you are a
professional secretary of her calibre, it's hard to get used to typing one
handed.

I'm trying to help out with little things.  Like, finding out where her Dad was born.
He was born on a farm in Saskatchewan.  In various things he left behind, the
nearest town is Seamans, Seemans, Seimans, or Seimens.  Or, given how little he
seemed to care about it, may it started with a C, or a Ts.

So tonight I was trying to confirm what it was.  I started with Google Maps, but
didn't get much luck.  (Nor was the old printed postal code directory that we
have: the place is just too small.)  However, Google autocomplete is your
friend.  I turned to Google search, and started a bit of a brute force on
alternative spellings, relying on autocomplete, until it came up with a tiny
place called Semans, roughly midway between Regina and Saskatoon.

A bit more reading down the search results got me
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/semans.html and a look down in the
Fs confirmed it.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/semans/dscf0661.jpg
Gladys Clifton Furneaux is Stu's mother: he was born in 1922, and she died when
he was four years old.

Sure I can tie this into security.  Integrity is important, and having the
correct data entry in the first place can save you a lot of time.

But, even if your data is messed up, people can still find out a *lot* of
information about you.

Even if you were born in 1922.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
McDonald's, which does not wait on your table, does not cook your
food to order, and does not clear your table, came up with the
slogan `We Do It All For You.'                          - Dave Barry
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade