funsec mailing list archives

I'm sad to report that people are feeling manipulated by this study

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:36:30 -0800

It's too bad that commentators are feeling "creeped out" by the Facebook study:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/06/even-the-editor-of-
facebooks-mood-study-thought-it-was-creepy/373649/

What's really depressing is not that Facebook users feel manipulated, but that they
don't realize that Facebook is constantly modifying what they see.  I don't do
much on Facebook, but I find the email notifications I get from it bizarre.  Why
*don't* I get notifications of some things?  Why *do* I get the ones I do?

(And I'm quite sure Facebook's algorithms are starting to work me out, to an
extent, because the notifications I *am* getting are becoming more "interesting,"
in that I am more frequently responding and going to Facebook to check the
posting as a result.  Now *that's* creepy.)

Bummer.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Most men are within a finger's breadth of being mad.
                                                - Diogenes the Cynic
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade