funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fallout from leak prosecution prompts Microsoft promise to stop snooping

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:38:10 -0400

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 09:07:38PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton quoted:
That revelation prompted Microsoft on Friday to pledge not to comb
through user's email if investigators suspect the user stole from
Microsoft.

a) See Ferg's comments.

b) Note that this leaves the door wide open to comb through users' email
for other reasons.

c) Even if they said "we promise not to comb through users' email period
full stop no qualifiers ever honest really for sure this time" there's
no possible way that they can make good on that promise.

Why?  Surely nobody here thinks that everyone working AT Microsoft
is working FOR Microsoft.  I presume that the intelligence services
of multiple countries have had people on the inside for decades.

s/Microsoft/Google/
s/Microsoft/Yahoo/
and so on

This seems pretty obvious to me.  We all know that insider attacks are
the hardest to stop, so the easiest way to get in is to already be there.

---rsk