funsec mailing list archives

Google's "Shared Endorsements"

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 11:26:55 -0700

A lot of people are concerned about Google's new "Shared Endorsements" scheme:
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/15/how-to-remove-your-face-from-
googles-upcoming-shared-endorsement-ads/

However, one should give credit where credit is due.  This is not one of Facebook's
functions, where, regardless of what you've set or unset in the past, every time
they add a new feature it defaults to "wide open."  If you have been careful with
your Google account in the past, you will probably find yourself still protected.
I'm pretty paranoid, but when I checked the Shared Endorsements setting page
( http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/15/how-to-remove-your-face-from-
googles-upcoming-shared-endorsement-ads/ ) on my accounts, and the "Based
upon my activity, Google may show my name and profile photo in shared
endorsements that appear in ads" box is unchecked on all of them.  I can only
assume that it is because I've been circumspect in my settings in the past.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws.            - Plato
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade