funsec mailing list archives

"Identity Thief"

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:25:30 -0800

I really should know better.

Last night, hoping that, in two hours, Hollywood might provide *some*
information on an important topic, even if limited, I watched "Identity Thief," a
movie put out by Universal in 20013, starring Jason Bateman and Melissa
McCarthy.

It is important to point out to people that, if someone phones you up and offers
you a free service to protect you from identity theft, it is probably not a good idea
to give them your name, date of birth, social security/insurance number, credit
card and bank account numbers, and basically everything else about you.  This tip
is provided in the first thirty seconds of the film.  After that (except for the point
that the help law enforcement might be able to give you is limited) it's all
downhill.  The plot is ridiculous (even for a comedy), the characters somewhat
uneven, the situations crude, the relationship unlikely, the language profane, and
the legalities extremely questionable.

(The best line in the entire movie is: Sandy - "Do you know what a sociopath is?"
Diane - "Do they like ribs?"  I know this may not seem funny, but trust me: it
gives you a very good idea of how funny this movie really is.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
       Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change ready.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade