funsec mailing list archives

YASCCL (Yet Another Stupid Computer Crime Law)

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:17:33 -0800

Over the years I have seen numerous attempts at addressing the serious problems
in computer crime with new laws.  Well-intentioned, I know, but all too many of
these attempts are flawed.  The latest is from Nova Scotia:

http://nslegislature.ca/legc/bills/61st_5th/1st_read/b061.htm - Bill 61
http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/08/08/nova-scotias-awful-cyber-abuse-law-makes-
bullies-of-us-all/
or
http://is.gd/JR0bjt  Commentary

"The definition of cyberbullying, in this particular bill, includes “any electronic
communication” that ”ought reasonably be expected” to “humiliate” another
person, or harm their “emotional well-being, self-esteem or reputation.”"

Well, all I can say is that everyone in this forum better be really careful what they
say about anybody else.

(Oh, $#!+.  Did I just impugn the reputation of the Nova Scotia legislature?)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, schedule multiple hour-long
planning and scheduling meetings...
         - http://twitter.com/#!/DaleInnis/status/132485284972609537
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/