funsec mailing list archives

Re: Google ordered to hand private customer data over to FBI investigators

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:17:16 -0400

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Bruce Ediger <bediger () stratigery com> wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2013, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/2013/jun/01/google-ordered-hand-over-data-fbi

A US judge has ordered Google to comply with FBI secret demands for
customer data, despite earlier ruling the warrantless orders
unconstitutional.

Does anybody else find this sort of thing fishy?
+1. Kevin Wall sent me the link offline and said the same thing.

I mean, I immediately jump to thinking, "So, they got to her.  I wonder
what facts they used to convince her to change her mind?  Were those
facts picked up the the Stellar Wind dragnet?"

If you google for "Jane Harman Alberto Gonzales" you find a lot of
what looks like very informed speculation that at least once in a
while, the Executive Branch blackmails Congress members.
So much for separation of powers, and checks and balances....

Congress, judges, and their friends are more dangerous to the
democracy, the country and its citizens than Bin Laden and friends
ever dreamed of becoming.