funsec mailing list archives

Re: [funsec] Skype with care – Microsoft is reading everything you write

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 16:27:02 -0400

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)
<michael.blanchard () emc com> wrote:
There is always a clause in ALL of those ELUA's stating that they can change at anytime, without notice usually too.
Your only recourse is to stop using the product if you don’t like the EULA.  Sucks yes, but until a better product
comes along that is as widely adopted, well, we're stuck....   Who's to say what Apple is doing with Facetime?

 Those folks that complain about "evil empires" are the cause of their own problems....  don’t' like a company?
Don't buy anything or use anything from them, EVER...  Wish it was that simple with the "evil Government" ;-)
That's not really practical in many cases. What do consumers have when
all carriers and handset manufacturers do it? Its certainly not
choice.

 In any case, if Microsoft really is viewing all this stuff, and acting as a middle man to decrypt the traffic, they
should come clean and clearly state they are doing so...  I hope  they get pulled over the flame for this if it's
true (and I have no doubt is isn't true BTW)

All are likely doing it to some degree or another. Again, no choice.

Monopolistic policy and practice in industry used to be kept in check.
Case studies include the steel, railroad, and oil barons. For the old
steel, railroad, and oil barons, the interesting thing (in my opinion)
was why it happened. It did not have to do with the climate in
Washington and a desire for the better good. It occurred because: (1)
who the titans of industry bankrolled (McKinley, who outspent his
opponent 10:1 because he was corporation friendly), (2) why Roosevelt
was chosen as a vice president, and (3) how McKinley's assassination
turned things on its head.

Roosevelt was never supposed to have the power and do the things he did.

Jeff