funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: petition to remove Aaron Swartz prosecutor

From: Conrad Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:05:22 -0500

On 1/14/2013 9:30 PM, Kyle Creyts wrote:
Well, with each passing Saturday bringing the trial closer, each
probably looked more bleak.

Indeed, I'm finding the apologism for the legal bullying rather offensive actually - when that teenager killed herself due to 'cyberbullying' (bleh.. they need a better term for that), nobody sat around saying 'well she had a long history of depression, it would probably have happened anyway' - no, they went after the person who'd victimized her, in court(*). If I go and kick someone around a bit and hospitalize them, is their lack of combat training and weak physique the reason they are in such a bad situation? Our entire lives are a series of 'just circumstance'; getting out of bed and going to work is 'multifactorial' - you can't explain things off that way.

(* - In fact that cyberbullying case changed the law, yet again to make overly broad cases like this even more easy to carry out)

also:

http://gizmodo.com/5975996/in-the-wake-of-aaron-swartzs-death-lets-fix-draconian-computer-crime-law