funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Authors for Censorship" founder ...

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:01:37 -0500

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Rob Slade, doting Grandpa of Rayn,
Trevor, Devon, and Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
This year's winner of the Nobel Prize in literature says censorship is as necessary as airport security checks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/mo-yan-nobel-literature-p_n_2250956.html

Wait, am I reading the Onion?  Is this guy for real?  (Are the committee?)
The Nobel Foundation makes some interesting choices.

Dr. Gene Sharp got a Peace Prize nomination, but never received the
award. His teachings have been used in countless non-violent
revolutions to seize power from oppressors. Most recently, it was
Egypt and Mubarak. In the past, it was the velvet revolutions of many
eastern europe counties.

Barak Obama did get a Peace Prize. Obama did not withdrawl from Iran -
a campaign promise in 2008. Obama did not normalize arabic relations -
a campaign promise in 2008  (in fact, the US is currently trying to
block Palestine's recognition in the UN). He also tried to open a new
war front in the middle east when he bombed Libya. I wrote to the
Foundation and tried to get Barak Obama's Peace Prize rescinded. The
foundation did not take responsibility for their choice, and did not
even bother answering.

I know I've asked this before, but who is more dangerous to me and my
fellow citizens? An angry muslin pissed off at socio-economic
injustice? Or a politician who lies to gain office, "games" the
democracy, and grows personal wealth?

Jeff