funsec mailing list archives

Trust me, I didn't look right as I typed this ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:40:32 -0800

'Lying eyes' are a myth - looking to the right DOESN'T mean you are fibbing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2172119/Lying-eyes-myth--
looking-right-DOESNT-mean-fibbing-say-scientists-video-study.html

"Many psychologists believe that when a person looks up to their right they are
likely to be telling a lie.  Glancing up to the left, on the other hand, is said to
indicate honesty.

"Co-author Dr Caroline Watt, from the University of Edinburgh, said: 'A large
percentage of the public believes that certain eye movements are a sign of lying,
and this idea is even taught in organisational training courses. ... The claimed link
between lying and eye movements is a key element of neuro-linguistic
programming.

"According to the theory, when right-handed people look up to their right they
are likely to be visualising a 'constructed' or imagined event.  In contrast when
they look to their left they are likely to be visualising a 'remembered' memory.
For this reason, when liars are constructing their own version of the truth, they
tend to look to the right."

"Psychologist Prof Wiseman, from the University of Hertfordshire, said: 'The
results of the first study revealed no relationship between lying and eye
movements, and the second showed that telling people about the claims made by
NLP practitioners did not improve their lie detection skills.'

(I guess we'll have to stop watching "The Mentalist" now ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting for TV repair.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade