funsec mailing list archives

Re: More bad news for risk management

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 12:17:40 -0400

Hi Tom,

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb () byrneit net> wrote:
Ignoring risk is a perfectly valid way of managing it, if the return of
putting the resources into the risky endeavor exceed the costs of
putting them into managing the risk.
I know its common practice, but I respectfully disagree. Its been my
experience that most problems can be solved correctly from an
engineering standpoint. Risk acceptance (or ignoring risk) is often
used as a way to justify the sale or use of a defective product or
service.

Waiting or hoping for corporations to do the right thing is futile for
most corporations. Asking folks like you and I to use a defective
product because management wants to persue profits is a pervision. All
the more reason we (consumers and users) need strong liability and
merchanibility laws; and corporate boards should be held personably
liable for the negligence.

It's probably hard wired into our psyche.
Not all of the people all of the time ;)

Jeff