funsec mailing list archives

Cloudy with a chance of hacking

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:02:13 -0800

Following closely upon the article/confession about cloud linked accounts and
devices, and the ease of hacking them (with some interesting points about
authentication systems):
http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

I noticed, this morning, that the number of phishing messages, and specifically
email account phishing, had, after a couple of relatively low months, suddenly
jumped again.

Excessive convenience almost always = insecurity.  I have not linked any of my
socmed accounts.  Facebook doesn't have my Twitter account password, etc.  This
is somewhat inconvenient, since I have to sign on to the different accounts in
order to post things.  However, it does mean that, in the case of this type of
story, I can just use it as an example and move on, rather than spending time
changing the passwords on all my accounts.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small
people always do that, but the really great make you feel that
you, too, can become great.                             - Mark Twain
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade