funsec mailing list archives

Can Apple give police a key to your encrypted iPhone data?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 23:45:29 -0400

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/can-apple-give-police-a-key-to-your-encrypted-iphone-data-ars-investigates.ars

Does Apple have a backdoor that it can use to help law enforcement
bypass your iPhone's passcode? That question became front and center
this week when training materials (PDF) for the California District
Attorneys Association started being distributed online with a line
implying that Apple could do so if the appropriate request was filed
by police.

As with most things, the answer is complex and not very
straightforward. Apple almost definitely does help law enforcement get
past iPhone security measures, but how? Is Apple advising them using
already well-known cracking techniques, or does the company have
special access to our iDevices that we don't know about? Ars decided
to try to find out.