funsec mailing list archives

Re: Patent absurdity (recidivus)

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:22:33 -0400

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
An interesting infographic, showing patent cooperation (some) and conflict (a
whole mess).

http://visual.ly/tech-patent-wars

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669900/infographic-sweet-jesus-the-patent-war-has-
gotten-crazy

I found this on the same day I found out about Apple patenting the iPen:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=apples-next-invention-the-ipen-
2012-05&WT.mc_id=SA_CAT_TECH_20120529

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57440736-37/apple-tinkers-with-ipen-stylus-
and-haptic-feedback/

Which is personally annoying.  For some time I have wanted some form of smart
pen (or pencil: I'm not picky) that will actually write on paper, but also store what
you wrote.  (It's the way I do most of the initial research for my reviews.)  No, I
don't want a pad and stylus: just the pen.  I can download the notes later (probably
via USB).

The precursors of this came out a while back.  The mere existence of Apple's
patent is probably the reason they haven't developed.  Whether Apple intends to
do anything with it or not.

For some time I have been engaged in various contracts involving the breaking of
old patents.  As an author, I naturally have some sympathy for the protection of
intellectual property.  But the further I go in this field, the more I am beginning to
think that the entire concept is hopelessly and inherently flawed ...
I look at it this way - software patents are probably here to stay.

For those who want and/or use them, let them die by the sword, too.
Make them subject to software liability laws when their insecure or
broken crap really breaks.

The same for the DRM folks - let them have their $10,000 fines. Every
time they accidentally accuse us or deny us access as a licensed user,
allow us to redress the action for $10,000.

Jeff