funsec mailing list archives

Re: Seriously?

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 16:32:08 +1200

Mike B wrote:

I'll bet A/V detects this... BUT, I'll also bet it's rare to find AV running on the 'droids :-)

But of course -- everyone knows that Android is based on Linux and
_everyone_ knows Linux, _like all other Unix-y OSes, BSDs and thus
Apple-OSes_, are inherently virus-immune.

Fred Cohen sure made those early PC users look stupid...

   http://all.net/books/Dissertation.pdf

Oh, wait, I was misremembering that, wasn't I???

Android, like Apple-OSes, shows the fallacy of all that historic BS.
Make a "Unix like" machine anywhere near as "usuable" as Windows, for
your run-of-the-mill "typical computer user" and guess what?  Mostly
the same security issues, as once the non-truly-expert users are using
such OSes _and_ the manufacturers are in a competitive bidding war for
sales, guess what turns out to most easily removed or at least watered-
down?

And before all the fan boiz get upset, notice that that is not a
defence of MS doing it exceptionally _and deliberately_ crappily for
their first two decades or so.  It is just (part of) the explanation
for why any given fan boiz' favourite nix-ish OS was never anywhere
near as popular as Windows.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald