funsec mailing list archives

Re: Words to spy by ...

From: Kyle Creyts <kyle.creyts () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:12:11 -0800

I don't believe I mentioned NSA's UDC... I think that is legitimate
news. I think your brain may have absorbed a bit much of that aluminum
from your foil hat.

However, suggesting that there is a person reading all that crap seems
pretty silly, and assuming that you're going to tip a balance by using
those words in emails is a bit narcissistic. If you really can't see
the operational value of a system that reads the streaming data from
social media, and uses it to identify ongoing events of interest to
DHS or of operational importance, then you should probably get your
foil hat checked, because I'm probably trying to read your mind right
now, too. There is a very clear, very obvious use case from where I
sit, and it has nothing to do with tracking people. How many times did
you hear about an earthquake via Facebook or Twitter before you heard
about it on the news?

If there was a list of words that they were using to track activities
of subversive people and groups, such a project, and probably any
information on the sig list it used would probably be classed. It
probably wouldn't listen to just social media, and certainly not for
such blasé keywords. It would likely be a highly dynamic list that
contained targeted entries largely informed by recent intelligence
produced by analysts working on different specific threats.

It'd be a daft fool who releases his tracking signatures to the people
he targets. It wasn't like this was a whistleblower or FOIA win...
IIRC, this list, or some version of it has been out and making rounds
on the internet for quite a while, over a year.

So, I frequently label the act of implying things that are very
clearly not in the text -- and needlessly add drama to a situation --
as creating FUD. Let me know if I am using it wrong. Calling me naïve
is okay. I don't mind being considered naïve. I just think that this
would be a very large amount of money and possibly negative publicity
(and they hate negative publicity) to spend on mere misdirection. Note
that the inquiry was not into monitoring activities of the NSA, and
that this list is very specifically referred to as a DHS tool. If the
NSA has a tool, it is really probable that it isn't this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82701103/Analyst-Desktop-Binder-REDACTED

This manual details the usage of the list, and what identifies an Item
of Interest.