funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spamming as a Service in Total Protection

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:39:27 +1300

Rob Slade wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/19/us-mcafee-idUSTRE80I0A620120119

I post this primarily as a warning to those who have this product installed.

However, I do feel compelled to note that this outfit, along with another that
comes in a yellow box, and one particularly trendy product, have had a) a great
deal of market success, and b) a number of absolutely stunning failures over the
years.  (Which, I suppose, is just another example of how marketing trumps
security, every time ...)

And note that this outfit is now owned by Intel and there were all
kinds of mysterious ramblings about accelerating security software
functionality by putting elements of this outfit's software in the
hardware when the purchase was announced.  Imagine your server had this
functionality in the silicon of its Ethernet chipset to off-load CPU?

It may be something of an annoyance now to update all that software,
but having to pull and replace the Ethernet cards, or even
motherboards, of all your servers to fix faulty silicon?

Yeah -- hopefully they will be able to deal with such issues with
microcode patches and such, but what age of chipsets do you think Intel
will actively support?

(Full disclosure: I'm on contract to one of the other "outfits" (one
Rob didn't refer to) but this is purely my own take on such things...)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald