funsec mailing list archives

Re: OK, all you EU guys who took the CEH just wasted your money

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:05:44 -0700 (PDT)

EU laws were already passed 5 years ago that made the production, downloading (possession), purchasing (possession), or
distribution of hacking tools a criminal offense.  As far as I know no ethical InfoSec professionals have been tossed
in jail over that.  The possession of hacking tools has to be with intent of performing a criminal act in order to gain
any sort of conviction, regardless of poor original wording in the laws themselves.

It's not illegal to possess a tire iron (as mentioned in the email below), but that makes a decent segue to a similar
point.  It is a crime in the state where I live to have lockpicking tools in your possession - if you're illegally
breaking and entering with them.  But if you're a locksmith and you're not illegally breaking and entering, you can
carry those tools every day and never be worried about being found guilty of a crime.

Bottom line:
If your job is to do pen-testing (and you can prove it), then you have nothing to worry about in simply possessing
tools to do your job.  If you are in school studying InfoSec (and you can prove it), then you have nothing to worry
about in simply possessing tools related to your studies.  If you're also using those tools illegally, well....
Lawmakers may be short-sighted, but then there are courts, judges, and juries that have to take all the facts under
consideration before handing down a sentence.  That's where the rubber hits the road, and is why no InfoSec pro need
lose any sleep over this.

I would personally also "hope" that no person who doesn't have an InfoSec job or isn't formally studying InfoSec, but
is trying to learn on their own ,doesn't have to worry about this, and that judges and juries would exonerate them if
wrongfully charged.  But I can't make that statement with the same assurance that InfoSec pros and formal students get.

Furthermore if organizations (and government agencies) are prevented from having their systems tested for
vulnerabilities then the criminals will run rampant over those non-audited networks.  Make that "more rampant" than
they already are.  Even short-sighted lawmakers don't want that, and fittingly their networks and systems would be
pwned alongside all the rest.

The U.S. Department of Defense isn't so short-sighted.  CEH was added to one of its network defense directives in 2010.
 And DoD is quite big on offensive as well as defensive InfoSec-related practices.  As long as coders write shoddy code
and admins aren't ultra diligent in hardening network systems, that posture will not change.

NOTE: I'm not promoting CEH, which was loosely used as a reference in this thread's start by someone other than myself.
 That acronym and cert is just along for the ride here, but could be dropped from the thread.

-Vic